Speech, Language & Social Communication
My child has difficulties with Communication and Interaction.
This can include:
Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
Conditions include: Specific Language Disorder, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
Stammering – advice given to families about how to access support from outside agencies.
Please see a separate section of the website for the Hounslow Borough Speech and Language Centre.
Please see separate section of the website for EAL (English as an Additional Language) services in the school.
What can Lampton offer?
All students at Lampton can access
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEND practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Whole-school BLP Programme (Building Learning Power) to encourage meta-cognitive learning.
- Access to homework support clubs.
- Year 7 Active Listening Skills programme.
- Accelerated Reader Programme KS2 to KS3 transition support via tutor programme.
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
Support for targeted groups of students may include
- Assessment and identification of language need and feedback to parents and staff.
- Small group sessions in the Communication Centre with specialist teacher/Teaching Assistant/Speech and Language Therapist Modules include; vocabulary, inference and deduction and language building blocks listen here.
- Pre and post Module skills assessment and results.
- Post module feedback to student, parents and staff.
- In-class Teaching Assistant support in some lessons listen here.
- Year 7 Transition Group
Targeted individual support may include
- As for all Lampton students plus…..
- 1:1 session with a speech and language therapist.
- 1:1 sessions with other specialist staff in the school, linked to other needs on ECHP (e.g. Nurture Group) (student audio: his experience of group work in the Communication Centre).
- Individual teaching assistant support in some mainstream lessons.
- On-going monitoring and regular feedback to parents and students (at least termly and including the Annual Review).
- Exam access arrangements.
- Post 16 transition support.
- Please click here if your child has an EHCP which specifies enrolment in the Speech and Language Centre.